The student news site of Lowellville Local School

The Rocketeer

Lowellville’s National Honor Society Welcomes Over Twenty New Members

Nathan Williams, Contributor

On Friday, April 7th, the Lowellville High School Chapter of the National Honor Society hosted their 60th Induction Ceremony, welcoming 22 new members from the Junior class. The ceremony took place in the large gymnasium with inductee parents, faculty, and fellow 7th-12th grade students as an audience. Following speeches from 5 of the 7 Senior NHS members and a speech by guest speaker Dr. Toni Lynn Bisconti, the new members took the Oath to become official members. In addition, they were also given pins and certificates for their membership.

The Ceremony began with the introduction of inductees escorted by their parents, with the NHS President Michaela Mrakovich reading their GPAs and activities. After each new member signed their names and sat down, guest speaker Dr. Toni Lynn Bisconti was introduced to speak. As an alumni of Lowellville and former NHS member, Dr. Bisconti shared her own experiences with the Society, the school, and her life, all with a light humor to entertain the audience.

Following Bisconti, President Mrakovich introduced four Senior members who explained the four essential characteristics of NHS members. Treasurer Joshua Bryan offered comments regarding Scholarship; Vice President Elia Basista spoke about Leadership; Secretary Juliana Rotz talked about Service, and Matthew Hynes reflected on Character. Each speaker lit one of four candles in the central table after their comments.

To distribute each new member’s certificate and pin, Principal Sawicki, Assistant Principal Pancake, and Advisor, Mrs. Reamer gathered at the central table and podium. Each inductee also lit a candle to bring back to their own seat. Once all sat down with their candles, they then stood to take the NHS Oath to be officially inducted.

One of the Juniors at the Ceremony, Taylor Wensel, shared her thoughts about the Society and the event. “Most everyone I talked to after said they were nervous,” she explained. “I was shaking, and I’ll admit that it was tough to keep the candle lit.” Wensel also said she most looked forward to any service projects that the Society does next school year. Service projects this year included a Hat and Mitten Drive, a Sports Equipment Drive, and a Christmas Gift Donation Tree. To be accepted into the NHS, Wensel gathered over 200 hours of service as a barn stable hand, and maintained a GPA of 3.5 through high school.

When asked about the next school year, Mrs. Reamer, Lowellville teacher and advisor to the NHS, replied, “The new members look very promising. There is a great influx of students joining, and I think they’ll bring good ideas to the table.” As for the Ceremony, Reamer thought it went well and that they were fortunate to have such an excellent guest speaker. She also said the Society is considering improving a few aesthetics of the Ceremony next year. For this year’s ceremony, unlike the previous, the NHS members were taken to a luncheon after at Gianna’s Catering instead of only refreshments.

The National Honor Society has been active at Lowellville for six decades now, and has always strived to provide the area with service while promoting academic excellence. So many new talented, members  mean a promising next year for the organization.