The student news site of Lowellville Local School

The Rocketeer

Everything You Need to Know About the Nintendo Switch

Zackary Oliver, Contributor

The Nintendo Entertainment System-Nintendo’s first hit and one of gaming’s first consoles that made video game industry as big as it is today. Later this year on March 3rd, Nintendo will launch the Nintendo Switch,  their newest console that is looking to shake the landscape of gaming once again.

The Switch has a lot of features integrated from past consoles. The main feature of the Switch is that it combines mobile and home consoles into one. You can either put the game pad in the docking system and play it on your TV or take it with you and play it whenever you want, like a tablet. The console has controllers called joy-cons that use motion like the Wii’s, one of Nintendo’s most successful systems to date. They also added a feature for vibration in the controller. The joy-con controllers can also be put together to form a single controller, if you prefer to play with one. The last feature the game pad has is a touch screen, which was also on the Wii U and 3DS.

The games set to be released on launch day with the Switch are few but great. Three of the more notable titles include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The new Legend of Zelda game brings a new open world style to the franchise. 1-2 Switch is a game that utilizes the new joy-con controllers for physical mini games. The Mario Kart game is remastered version of Mario Kart 8, which was released on the Wii U for the Switch.

Even though Nintendo has had a rough time after the lackluster sales of the Wii U, the Switch will hopefully breathe some life into Nintendo, especially with all the features that the Switch includes. There is some skepticism present due to the features deemed unnecessary by some long-time fans, but hopes are still high since the system seems more impressive compared to the Wii U.