The student news site of Lowellville Local School

The Rocketeer

The Annual YSU English Festival

Zackary Oliver, Contributor

Wednesday, April 26th marked the official date for the start of the annual YSU English Festival. On that day, 10-12th grade students went to the campus. On April 28th, however, 7-9th grade students are able to go to the festival and participate in the activities available. Throughout the day students followed their tracks to different events and activities.

The day started with all the students meeting in the Chestnut room where a speech was given about the day and YSU President,  Jim Tressel also gave a speech about the event. Then all of the students followed their tracks and went to their first session. Each session took place in different rooms in the Kilcawley Center and sometimes in other buildings. Everyone had the lunch time and then afterwards everyone separated into their tracks once again. The last three tracks afterwards led up to the end of the day where there was an awards ceremony.  The awards passed out during the ceremony were for some of the essays that some of the students wrote that day. There was also a raffle that students could potentially win.

Some of the authors of the novels were present and were able to share insights regarding aspects of their books. E. Lockhart, the author of We Were Liars and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks presented about how she writes her books. Morgan LaCamera, a senior who went to the festival stated, “Her speech was enjoyable and her Harry Potter reference was funny.” Gene Luen Yang was also there to present his two books Boxers and Saints. His talk was mostly about the history in his books and how he researched information for his graphic novel.

Overall, the YSU English Festival for the high school students was exciting and fun. The event had many insightful lessons to learn about the books that were available in the festival. Not only were a few of the authors there to teach  lessons, the activities available to participate in were creative and exciting.