The student news site of Lowellville Local School

The Rocketeer

Lowellville Hosts ‘Red Out’ in Support of Heart Disease and Stroke Victims

The elementary students wearing red all gather in the shape of a heart along with Lowellville's staff.

Jostens Photography

Jostens Photography

Nathan Williams, Contributor

On Friday, February 3rd, Lowellville’s elementary and high schools supported the fight against heart disease and stroke by participating in the “Red Out” event sponsored by the American Heart Association (AHA). The students were permitted to wear red shirts that day, and everyone wearing red gathered in the morning for a picture as a giant heart. As well as celebrating National Wear Red Day, usually on Sunday the 5th, the event also welcomed February as the American Heart Month.

Leading up to the Red Out, the school and the AHA sold “Life Is Why” t-shirts to any students, faculty members, or community members interested. Designed by the AHA, the shirts were $10 each, with all proceeds put towards the fight against heart disease. With 156 shirts sold overall, the school raised $1,560 in support of the cause.

Jostens Photography
Lowellville’s 7-12th grade students wearing red form a heart along with staff.

Along with the Red Out, the AHA has several other types of events for participating schools to host. Among these are “Hoops for Heart,” a basketball event, “Jump Rope for Heart,” a jump rope event, and “High School Heartchase,” a community adventure game like the “Amazing Race.”

Lowellville decided to go with the Red Out because of its simplicity and directness. Principal, Mrs. Sawicki, however, commented that the school may be looking into other events in the coming years. “We’ll certainly stick with the Red Out in the future, but we’ll be considering other events too,” Sawicki replied about Lowellville’s plans. “The Hoops for Heart event might be good since many of Lowellville’s students enjoy basketball.” She also added that the event would work well with winter weather, unlike some other events.

Several other schools in the Mahoning Valley also participated in AHA events, though not all did the Red Out. This year marks the beginning of Lowellville’s support against heart disease and stroke with the AHA.