The student news site of Lowellville Local School

The Rocketeer

Lowellville Introduces Program to Help Eliminate Bullying

Taylor Wensel, Contributor

Recently, Lowellville High School incorporated a program to educate parents, teacher, and students and increase involvement in the prevention of bullying. Superintendent, Dr. Eugene Thomas and Vice Principal, Mr. Tim Pancake worked together to bring this program to Lowellville and challenge everyone in the community to work to eliminate bullying.

The Parental Advisory Committee – Bullying, or PAC-B, was inspired by Rachel’s Challenge. Rachel Joy Scott was the first victim in the Columbine High School shooting in April 1999. After her death, many friends spoke of the impact she made in each of their lives through kindness and compassion. Rachel’s Challenge, a non-profit organization, is dedicated to making schools safer by replacing bullying with acts of kindness and respect.

For schools, the purpose of PAC-B is to ultimately eliminate bullying and prevent it from happening. For Lowellville, Mr. Pancake knows that it is not just about knowing that bullying exists, but doing something about it. “We want everyone involved in the school aware,” he revealed to the Rocketeer staff. There are issues that students are faced with both in school and out of school and people should know what to look for.

Once a month, Lowellville holds a meeting for this committee. Many points are discussed throughout the meeting. Many people want to bring awareness to the current situations and identify various characteristics of bullying as it happens. The community should know what is happening and become more involved. Bullying is a reality that needs attention.

Overall, the main goal for PAC-B and Rachel’s Challenge in Lowellville is to bring awareness to the community and for bullying to be recognized as an issue that deserves more attention. Mr. Pancake stated,“The word ‘bullying’ s used like the word ‘the.’ People need to know the true definition of bullying and know that this is something that needs our attention.”

The committee currently is comprised of parents, teachers, students and administrators. Stay tuned to find out how to  participate in a community night that will work to increase awareness of what bullying is and how to prevent it.